Crust enough for two pie shells.
- 2-1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 C chilled shortening, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- 6-8 T. chilled orange juice
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Sift together flour & salt, cut in butter, shortening and orange zest until texture of coarse crumbs. In small bowl, mix 6 tablespoons of the orange juice with the sugar and nutmeg. Using a fork, combine the liquid mixture into the flour, stirring to form a soft dough, adding the additional orange juice if necessary. Divide into two balls, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. Roll out one of the balls of chilled dough to form a crust and finish into a pie plate.