Directions: (See ingredient list for already cooked broccoli).
Start with a medium size quart pan on the stove, and turn on medium high heat. Pour in the olive oil, then the diced shallots. Cook until translucent. Add in the 1/2 stick of butter and melt it completely. Then, sprinkle in the all-purpose flour and mix together until it becomes the consistency of wall paper paste...allow it to bubble and cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking along the way. Stop when it appears light carmel in color. Next, pour in the chicken broth, vinegar, worcestershire sauce and can of chicken soup--bring to a boil, stirring along the way. Reduce to simmer.
Mix the remaining dry ingredients in a separate small bowl, and add into the sauce pan. Continue simmering for 3-4 minutes until the mixture thickens. Next, add in the swiss cheese cubes, and the Parmesan cheese--continue stirring over medium low heat until all cheese has melted. Lastly, incorporate the half and half. Place the hot, cooked broccoli in a blender, and pour warm mixture over--puree. That's it! Enjoy right then, or heat up again for later! Makes 2 large dinner bowls.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2 medium sized shallots diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 C. grated Parmesan cheese (From the green can)
- 4 ounces (1/2 brick) swiss cheese (or any hard, mild white cheese you like) grated
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (in the red and white wrapper, you know the one)
- 2 T. Balsamic vinegar
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large bundle of broccoli, cut into bite size chunks, already cooked (boil or steam in another pan for 5-7 min until tender)
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 T. salt
- 1/2 T. pepper (I like my pepper; reduce for your own taste)
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper (optional)
- 1/2 T. garlic powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1 T. dried parsley