- 1/2 cup each carrots and celery, diced
- 1 small yellow sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 TB. Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
- 32 oz, box low-sodium chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (a package of coleslaw mix works)
- 2 cups cooked, crumbled Italian Sweet Sausage
- 2 cups tomato juice or V-8 Juice
- 3 cups water
- 1 can chunky tomatoes (basil, oregano. garlic)
- 1 cup each zucchini or patty pan squash, cherry tomatoes (patted dry on paper towel)
- 2 cups green beans, diced in half
- 1 can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. each thyme, basil, parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 1-1/2 cups dried pasta (pasta shells or penne)
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven add olive oil. Saute celery, onion, garlic and carrots until onions are tender-about 5 minutes.
Wipe any excess olive oil from pot. Add to pot with the onion mixture; broth, chunky tomatoes, cabbage, tomato juice, water and spices.
Bring to boil from a low-medium heat, cover and simmer on low 15 minutes.
Stir in zucchini, green beans, kidney beans, cherry tomatoes and cooked sausage.
Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour covered.
Last 30 minutes of cooking time add in dried pasta.
Remove bay leaves before serving.