Begin by combining, and melting, the oil and butter in a large metal pot over medium-high heat. Add in the carrots, shallots, parsley, brussel sprout leaves, onion powder, red pepper flakes, pepper and salt. Saute the mixture until the shallots are translucent.
Next, add in the cubed ham and balsamic vinegar, and continue sautéing for another 3-5 minutes--be careful not to burn the shallots. Shallots have a lot of sugar in them, so they can burn quickly...Brown is ok, black isn't good eats. Then, pour in the entire large can of stock, plus 2 C. water, stir and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.
With a ladle, pour some of the hot liquid (avoid the veggies) into a small bowl or glass measuring cup. Slowly spoon in the cornstarch and whisk rapidly to combine. Once smooth, with no lumps, pour cloudy mixture back into the large pot and stir. Repeat this step if you desire a thicker soup. Finally, add in all the drained and rinsed beans. Simmer soup for 20-30 minutes before enjoying! Great with cornbread!
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Real Butter
- 3-4 Large Carrots, Chopped
- 3-4 Large Shallots, Chopped (or 1 medium-size white onion)
- 1 Cup Brussel Spout Leaves, (remove main stalk) Cut Chiffonade Style (Optional)
- Note: Brussel sprout leaves are a new favorite of mine, as I have been growing them in my garden. If you cut them like ribbons, they act sort of like noodles. If you don't have brussel sprout leaves, replace them with your favorite leafy green, like Swiss char or kale, or just simply leave them out entirely.
- 1 Large Quart Can of Chicken (or Vegetable Stock)
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley (or dried)
- 1/4 Tbsp. Onion Powder (not salt)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary (Optional)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Black Pepper
- Small Pinch of Dried Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Tbsp. Kosher Salt, More if Necessary
- 1 Medium-Size Can Black Beans, Drained
- 1 Medium-Size Can White Cannellini Beans, Drained
- 1 Large Can Pinto Beans, Drained
- 1 Ham Steak, Cut into Cubes
- 2-4 Tbsp. Corn Starch
- 2 C. Water
- 1.5 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar