"It is rich, decadent and an oh, so good dessert. It’s a stunning finish to a holiday meal. Serve the mousse in small demitasse cups. This recipe makes 5-6 small servings. Enjoy!" - Sue Ready
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/4 cup strong coffee or espresso at room temperature
- dash of salt
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 8 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate chopped or bittersweet chocolate (61-72% cacao)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 tsp. creme of tartar
- 2 TB. Kahlua or Amaretto
- Beat 1/2 cup whipped cream and refrigerate.
- Combine egg yolks, coffee or espresso, salt and 2 tsp. sugar in a metal bowl.
- Whisk to mix well. Set bowl in a larger pan of simmering water on the stove.
- Whisk constantly until mixture is lighter in color and has doubled in volume about 8 minutes.
- Remove bowl from water and stir in chopped chocolate pieces. Whisk till blended.
- Add in Kahlua or Amaretto, blend well and cool to room temperature.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl with creme of tartar and 1 tsp. sugar until firm peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into whipped cream and then into the chocolate mixture.
- Top with crushed almonds or toasted coconut
- Refrigerate til serving.