|photo credit: Sally Mitchell|
Rockport, Texas 78382
Hours: Fri & Sat 10am-2pm
The History Center for Aransas County focuses on the history of those men and women, who founded, settled, and developed Aransas County. From James Power, the empresario, who received a land grant from the Mexican Government in 1825, to today's innovators, their stories are being told through outdoor and indoor exhibits, which are changed periodically at the History Center. The Center provides space for displays, workshops, meetings and gatherings.
The History Center, housed in the Bruhl-Paul-Johnson home, is a Queen Anne-Victorian cottage. The house has had many owners including A.L. Bruhl, an early 1900s pharmacist and Rockport mayor, Preston Paul, marine contractor, and Chester Johnson, builder, who saved the home from demolition in 1978. Because Johnson offered a penny for the home, it became known as "The Penny House".
Free admission to all events. The Center is a venue of Aransas Pathways.