"Thanks for the opportunity to help our residents be more comfortable with the security of their families and their homes. A major part of the mission of our department is to work with our citizens to attain and sustain the highest possible quality of life for the people who live, visit, or conduct business here. In order to help accomplish this we have two state certified Crime Prevention Officers who are available to conduct security surveys and make recommendations on improvements or additions to home or business security. They are also available to make presentations to groups of people on good safety practices or other related security matters. There is no cost for these services and they can be scheduled through Administrative Assistant Nikki Yarnall, Phone No. (361)790-1101 or Commander Larry Sinclair at (361)790-1110. These presentations are available in English or Spanish.
As for recommendations to improve security immediately:
- Lock your doors at night and every time you leave, day or night for any period of time;
- Lock your vehicles whenever you are out of them whether away from home or in your driveway;
- Do not leave valuables in open view in your vehicles whether locked or not;
- Do not leave firearms, jewelry or other easily carried valuables in open view when individuals you are not personally familiar with are in your home;
- Call the police department at (361)729-1111 and notify us when you are leaving home overnight or for a prolonged time for periodic security checks; and,
- Call and report anything suspicious in your neighborhood. Recent calls from residents of Key Allegro resulted in arrests of several individuals for burglaries of boats and cars. If you believe a crime is in progress call 911. Never feel that these calls are a bother, we are here to see to your safety.
Tim Jayroe, Chief of Police
Rockport Police Department