The "Wildlife in Focus" photography contest is a biennial event that is held on odd years. All three of these photographer participated in the 2013 and 2015 contests. Cissy and Stephen will enter the 2017 contest starting on January 15, 2017.
Here’s the way the contest works:
- A photographer and a ranch owner team up. The photographer is limited to shooting only on that ranch.
- The contest runs from January 15 through June 15. All images have to be taken within that time frame.
- There are 59 different categories in the contest ranging from all species of birds to amphibians, reptiles, insects, landscapes, mammals, etc.
- The photographer submits a portfolio of 100 images with no more than 3 in any category.
- I would guess between 5000 - 7000 images are entered. The winning images are showcased in a nice book the Wildlife in Focus folks publish.
- The Texas Parks and Wildlife folks ran a story on the Wildlife in Focus contest in their January/February 2017 issue. It’s also their 75th Anniversary.
"I’m really flattered and honored with this. This contest is a grinder, and the competition is fierce. You can see the quality of the entries represented by the 18 photos chosen. I’ll attach the 2 images that made the magazine article," said Stephen.
Learn more about the contest here.