- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 TB. garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 lb. Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup each diced carrots, celery and sweet mini red peppers
- 1 cup zucchini diced
- 1-32 oz. container of chicken broth (low sodium and fat free)
- 2 fresh tomatoes diced and drained on a paper towel
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1- 2 cups torn spinach leaves (remove stems)
- 1- 9 oz. package fresh or frozen tortellini
- 1/4 -1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage brand which is thicker than other Greek yogurt products)
In soup pot brown sausage and drain off fat. Set meat aside on a paper towel.
Heat 1 TB. olive oil and sauté onions 3 minutes, add in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Add in zucchini, peppers, carrots, celery, tomatoes, spices, cooked meat, canned diced tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add in tortellini and spinach leaves, cook uncovered about 10 minutes, until pasta is al dente.
Stir in yogurt, blend well and heat through before serving.
Note: Leftover soup on the second day will need more broth as the tortellini will have absorbed some liquid.