- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 TB. Saigon cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1-3/4 tsp. all spice
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (15. oz.) pure pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 TB.vanilla
- 1 TB. orange zest
- 1/3 cup each toasted coconut and pecans
Penuche Icing Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 TB. milk or half and half
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
Grease a 13 x 9 pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
In a bowl beat both sugars and oil. Add eggs in one at a time. Add in pumpkin, orange zest and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Add flour mixture and beat only until incorporated. Add nuts and pour into a prepared pan.
Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes clean.
Frost cake with Penuche icing and sprinkle with topping mixture.
Penuche Icing Directions:
Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in brown sugar. Boil and stir over low heat 2 minutes. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla and cool in saucepan to lukewarm.
Add powdered sugar to saucepan with brown sugar mixture. Beat until smooth with a hand mixer. Add milk as needed for correct consistency. If icing gets too thick can warm pan on stove.