You may have already figured out that Cayenne wasn’t names for his hot and peppery nature; instead his moniker comes from his gorgeous red/orange stripped fur.
Here are some fun facts about orange cats:
- They are almost always male – up to 80% of orange kitties are boys and no one seems to know why.
- Their coats come in 4 different patterns: mackerel, classic, ticked and stripped.
- They are often called “marmalade” or “ginger” cats – to differentiate them from traditional black-based tabby cats.
- Their color shows up in many different breeds, such as Maine Coons, Persians, American Bobtails, British Shorthairs as well as the Domestic Shorthair.
- The orange coat color is due to a pigment called pheomelanin which can produce a color range from very dark red to the gentlest cream.
- Winston Churchill had an orange tabby cat named Tango.
The Humane Society andAdoption Center of Rockport/Fulton
1308 Myrtle St