By shredding the raw Brussels sprouts, you break down their hearty, fibrous bodies into what tastes more like cabbage or lettuce. And when you combine those shredded sprout pieces with a lemony oil dressing that soaks in and softens them just a tad, the only thing better is having them with the toasted walnuts and dates placed on top. It was so easy to put together and delicious. Another option for the dressing is a store bought Lite Greek Vinaigrette. Recipe serves four. - Sue Ready
- ¾ package of Shaved Brussels Sprouts or Kale Chopped Salad with Brussels Sprouts (produce section)
- 3/4 cup walnuts or almonds, toasted and chopped
- Optional 3 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and diced
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted and sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- Grated Parmesan, Romano cheese or Feta Mediterranean Herbs Crumbles
- Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB. lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 TB. honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large bowl add shaved Brussels Sprouts or Kale Chopped Salad with Brussels Sprouts mix, walnuts or almonds, bacon bits, dates and red onion.
In a blender add all dressing ingredients, taste to season and pour over salad to toss evenly to coat.
Grate cheese or add crumbles on top of the salad.
Chilling the dates makes them easier to slice. Toast nuts at 350 degrees for 3 minutes in oven.