Asparagus, a star spring veggie is a great option added to this egg casserole. You will need to blanch the asparagus pieces ahead of assembly for this dish.
- 4 large croissants or 8 mini croissants, torn into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups diced cooked ham pieces
- 1-1/2 cups Swiss cheese or cheddar cheese grated or a combination of both
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup 2 % milk or 1 cup half and half
- 2 TB, honey
- 1 TB. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Optional 2 cups asparagus pieces (cut in 2 inches) blanched Grease a deep dish pie pan or an 8 x 8 glass pan.
Arrange half the torn croissant pieces in baking dish, top with half ham pieces, cheese and asparagus pieces if using. Repeat with remaining croissant pieces, ham and cheese.
In a blender mix milk or half and half, eggs, mustard, honey and spices. Mix well.
Slowly pour egg mixture over croissant mixture. Use a sheet of wax paper to press croissant pieces into egg mixture to moisten completely. Cover with foil and refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake casserole covered 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 25 minutes more or until browned and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Cooking Tip: Blanch the asparagus: Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil (1/2 teaspoon of salt). Add the cut asparagus to the boiling water. Return to a boil and blanch the asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the asparagus to a bowl of ice water to shock the asparagus and stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.